On Feb 26, 2014, at 11:51 AM, Ted Unangst <t...@tedunangst.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:30, Aaron Poffenberger wrote:
>> When amavisd re-injected the email it was rejected by smtpd because "To:
>> <user>" is an invalid recipient. The solution, then, was to defer the
>> "virtual <vmap" lookup until re-injection. The way to do do that was to
>> use "relay via":
>
>> # public emails before content filtering
>> accept tagged default from any for domain <domains>               \
>>  relay via lmtp://127.0.0.1:10024
>>
>> # re-injection from amavis
>> accept tagged amavis from any for domain <domains> virtual <vmap> \
>>  deliver to mda "/usr/local/bin/procmail -f -"
>
> Do you need the virtual vmap on this deliver line? What if you deliver
> to amavis with the vmap, and then deliver mail tagged amavis without
> the vmap?

I tried that. If you telnet into smtpd to manually send an email and set
"rcpt to: <user>" you will receive a "553 Recipient address syntax
error" reply.

I'm looking to see whether I can make amavisd write the "rcpt to: " line
back to normal form <user@domain.suffix>. So far no luck. When smptd
relays the email to <user> amavisd just accepts it and loses the
context.

The only option I can think of would be for smtpd to allow sending to
contextless addresses if they match system users. But that wouldn't work
on systems where they use an MDA like Dovecot that supports virtual
users.

--Aaron