previously on this list Loganaden Velvindron contributed:

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 1:15 AM, Luis Coronado <lcoron...@ticoit.com> wrote:
> > I know of similar issues with OOM and folks here recommeded reviewing the
> > ulimit settings:
> >
> > http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=133363175403956&w=2
> >
> > You dont post dmesg, etc., so I dont know if you really have little ram
> > available.
>
> It's probably related to ulimit issues.
>
> I've switched to google chrome, and I must admit that it's a better
> experience so far.
>
> As crazy as it may sound, I'm watching youtube videos using html5 on
> google chrome. It's a decent experience :-)

I've found similar issues with xombrero, though I read on the xombrero
repo comments that it may be relieved somewhat once the jump to webkit2
is made as webkit 1 leaks memory "like a sieve". Not sure if
that has already happened.

Google chrome which used webkit until it forked it recently has had a
lot of effort put into avoiding OOM crashes due to particular trouble
in the past possibly due to it's process per tab and so webkit2 should
have those benefits but I'm under the impression the issues are still
there but to a lesser degree.

I don't remember it ever being a problem on firefox over years of usage
but have switched to xombrero now and so with this report I'm putting it
down to sites being far heavier than they used to be until someone
tells me otherwise. I'd say sites now running javascript from 10s of
domains may contribute but xombrero doesn't allow that in whitelist
mode anyway.

I don't remember it happening on linux which shouldn't have but has a
ulimit -d of unlimited by default. Perhaps these bugs would have been
fixed log ago if it didn't.

Could it be that the memory recovery routines stupidly expect
unlimited (mem + swap) as the maximum rather than checking limits as
well or just that it takes a much longer time to crash with this
default that especially seems to happen with badly designed, aka
'modern' sites like ebay?

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)