On 15/03/14(Sat) 16:22, Jan Stary wrote:
> On Mar 15 14:42:28, s...@openbsd.org wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 02:07:16PM +0100, Jan Stary wrote:
> > > This is an old 12" Powerbook G4 hw.model=7455 (Revision 0x303)
> > > with a freshly installed current/macppc. See full dmesg below.
> > >
> > > X doesn't work (NVIDIA GeForce4 440).
> > > I got the machine for peanuts so didn't bother checking
> > > http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ppc&m=136178209416987&w=2
> > > Trying `startx' without any configuration segfaults like this:
> >
> > I've got a battered 12" model which is suffering overheating issues.
> > I'm not sure I'll ever be able to recover it.
> >
> > However, a little more than 2 weeks ago I had a -current snapshot
> > running on it and X was working just fine (2D only) with the 'nv' driver.
> > I just ran xdm, no xorg.conf since autodetection worked, and I had
> > answered 'yes' to "do you expect to run the X window system?"
> > during installation (in case this matters).
> >
> > Perhaps something changed in the meantime. But perhaps if you
> > try an older snapshot, or 5.4 if necessary, you'll have a bit
> > more luck with X?
>
> Yes. I just reinstalled with 5.4/macppc, and X works just fine
> (without xorg.conf) using the nv driver. See Xorg log below.
>
> There seem to be more differences in how this machone
> was supported by 5.4 and current; see both dmesgs below.
> Most notably, the cpu frequency is way different.
>
> < cpu0 at mainbus0: 7455 (Revision 0x303): 866 MHz: 256KB L2 cache
> > cpu0 at mainbus0: 7455 (Revision 0x303): 533 MHz: 256KB L2 cache

The CPU in your machine supports different frequency, however there's
no driver to control that in OpenBSD.  I don't know what happened but
it seems that know you're running at lower frequency.  If somebody is
interested into porting this frequency control via PMU, have a look at
FreeBSD's pmufreq driver.

> Is that something that could happen, or is this a regression?
> Also, 5.4 recognizes appleagp, which current does not:
>
> < appleagp0 at pchb0
> < agp0 at appleagp0: aperture at 0x0, size 0x10000000
>
> Is that why X works in 5.4?

No, nvidia card never used this driver in macppc, and since we switch to
KMS it doesn't work anymore with radeon neither, certainly some bug of
mine.

Could you send me the output of "pcidump -v" for 5.4 and -current, is
there any difference?