On 28/11/05, Jeremy David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 11/28/05, Eric Faurot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 11/28/05, Jeremy David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > The idea has been mentioned in this thread that it's too difficult to
> > > make websites work in multiple browsers and still be valid. That idea
> > > is simply incorrect. Here's an example. http://www.cerealport.com/?p=8
> >
> > - the white text is difficult to read because of the lack of constrast with
> >   the image in background.
>
> Well, I was referring to the content of the website, which is one
> example of how to solve an inter-operability problem. However, your
> point about the look is valid and good.
>
> > - why do I have to click on the menu entry to expand them? what about
> >   the accessibility?
>
> That website is accessible to a blind person using lynx and text to
> speech software. The expanding menus only work that way in browsers
> that support it. If you try to use it in another situation, it will
> degrade gracefully. I don't believe that it hinders anyone's
> accessibility, because the website behaves differently in different
> browsers without any hacks or any special software required. I believe
> that's one of the strengths of valid HTML/CSS coding.

I'm using a mozilla 1.7 browser, with CSS on, JavaScript off.
The menus on the referenced cerealport.com web-site don't expand at
all (they're just javascript links). It follows that the design does
not degrade gracefully. Period.  The referenced .com web-site is not
accessible, it is _actually_, not just hypothetically, broken. End of
discussion.

Constantine.