I have an anecdote when it comes to disk in a firewall. My good old trusty sparc64 firewall's disk had died. At first I didn't notice it because the packets kept flowing but after a while I noticed some strange behavior so I decided to login to it and see what was wrong. Hmmm no login, *sigh* alright I'll go drag a monitor into my computer closet (not serial attached due to serial cable shortage at the time). Ha, hundreds of failed reads and writes.

I replaced the sparc64 with my previous firewall box that had been collecting dust since it retired (pentium pro 200) and packets flowed again. Fixed up the sparc64 with a brand-spanking-old 4G IDE disk, installed whatever was current and copied /etc back from backup. The whole operation didn't take more than 30 mins and I had even less downtime. All that I lost were logs and a very old disk (hangs on my wall now).

The moral of the story is that you don't need much disk for a firewall. Besides you said "no moving parts", RAID by definition adds more moving parts of the kind that fail most often.

FWIW :-)