On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 09:51:59PM -1000, Felix Johnson wrote:
> I can scan the network with 'ifconfig zyd0 scan' and the ESSID I'm
> looking for shows up, but the radio keeps going up and down and I
> can't get dhcp working on it.

Is the access point an OpenBSD machine, too?

> The /etc/hostname.zyd0 file looks like:
> nwid "What does the Mo'o say"

I wouldn't bet on a ' within " being handled correctly by the
netstart script. Perhaps try a different essid. However, it looks
like you're getting link, i.e. associating to the AP:

>     status: active
>     ieee80211: nwid "What does the Mo'o say" chan 1 bssid

It's still possible that you're simply out of range of the AP.

If range doesn't make a difference, you could add a line saying 'debug'
at the top of /etc/hostname.zyd0 and show any additional output in dmesg.

Output from these 3 tcpdump commands (run in parallel with dhclient)
might also tell us more:

 tcpdump -n -i zyd0
 tcpdump -n -i zyd0 -y IEEE802_11
 tcpdump -n -i zyd0 -y IEEE802_11_RADIO