On 14-04-21 09:56 AM, Philip Guenther wrote:
On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 7:49 AM, Adam Thompson <athom...@athompso.net> wrote:
I have developers using Ant deploy scripts that SSH into the target host repeatedly, once for every build step. Ant does a reasonably good job of emulating a terminal and handling strangeness in the output, but it's still clearly "non-terminal software".
I don't understand: if it's it's invoking ssh in a way that gives it a
pty on the remote side, then the stty's aren't a problem.  If it's
not, then it must be explicitly going out of its way to get a login
shell without pty.  Lacking the "why we did this" of doing, I don't
see what problem it would be the correct solution for.

In my particular case, the problem isn't pty/vty-related, it's escape control-sequence related. Some &^%$#@! predecessor at $JOB caused every login shell to run a command that sends the HP, and then DEC, Inquiry commands in order to figure out what value to hardcode $TERM to... thankfully, it times out, but anything that doesn't respond gets its $TERM set to something inappropriate (some ancient HP terminal type, IIRC).

There's so much fail in that particular environment that the problem I'm describing is relatively insignificant, but it highlights the issue.

Oh, the "Why we did this"... long before my time: apparently a crappy telnet client for Windows (yes, seriously) that didn't do $TERM option negotiation correctly, once upon a time. And now I have to live with the kludge that once worked around bad client software because production desktop builds and scripts - which I don't control - still rely on this behaviour :-( :-( :-(.

--
-Adam Thompson
 athom...@athompso.net