On 05/07/14 21:41, Manuel Pages wrote:
1. Know your mirror:
A person who wants to do that should find out the
policies of making snapshots for a particular mirror.
Depending on the architecture, mostly once a day. Which is enough!
I mean the OpenBSD userland. Package snapshots take a little longer between updates.

3. Shake, don't mix
If one commits to usage of -current kernel with
snapshot ports, best effort should be put in avoiding port
compilation.
I don't understand that.
Following current (kernel, base system and X11) can be done by upgrading using the snapshot sets from the mirrors. Using bsd.rd's upgrade and then sysmerge is the preferred way. Packages are precompiled ports which also is the preferred way of getting 3rd party software on your OpenBSD install.

4. pkg_add -U shouldn't be used
Partial update of the system is dangerous
and as we don't have control over the source of
snapshots, an upgrade followed by full update should
be done as a part of installation of new package.
So true, when pkg_add can't install a package it's probably time for a upgrade.

Now that I think about it, I realize that it's unlikely that I'll
keep using this weird "build kernel, download pkgs"
combination and will simply do snapshot hopping by
means of upgrade/sysmerge.
Nevertheless, compiling and upgrading/updating your system and ports from source is fun and a great way to learn => this translates to "breaking your system is fun and you learn from mistakes".

- Ben