>> OK, I got it booting. In a fairly useless config, but ...

>> Booting from a -current amd64 cd55.iso cd-rom, I (E)dited the MBR so
>> that the OpenBSD 'A6' partition started on sector 2048, and was 500MB
>> in size.

>> I accepted the auto configured disklabel (i.e. all space in 'a') and
>> installed w/o X, Compiler or games sets.

>> Removing the CD and rebooting got me to the usual login prompt.
>>
>> I'm going to experiment some more, but I'm now suspicious that the old
>> '512MB' limit is coming into play somehow.

>> So for those following along, try a tiny OpenBSD MBR partition
>> starting at sector 2048 and see what happens. And of course if it
>> works, how big can your partition be before it stops working.

> I've tried this and the system boots with 500MB, 1000MB, 2000MB but
> doesn't with 4000MB. Since 2GB is way too small, I'm going to buying a
> pci <-> sata card to avoid the Intel SATA chip.
>
> I'm thinking of buying a HighPoint Rocket 620 card. Anybody using this
> card with OpenBSD? Or recommendations for a different pci <-> sata card?

Unfortunately the pci <-> sata card didn't work either. However there
was a bios upgrade released by Gigabyte a few days after my initial
mail and with that bios version it works (using the Intel SATA chip). So
I would like to thank everybody that has spent time diagnosing this
problem.

Kind regards,

Martijn Rijkeboer