On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 03:07:17PM -0700, Jonathan Thornburg wrote:
> In message <http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=140224659303522&w=1>,
> Miod Vallat wrote (about an anoncvs update to /usr/src)
> > you should not run this command as root
>
> http://www.openbsd.org/anoncvs.html  shows the 'cvs update' command being
> run by root ("#" shell prompt), and I wouldn't expect any non-root user
> to have write permission to /usr/src anyway.  So... why is doing the
> cvs-update as root a bad idea?

I'd like to hear from the experts, as well.

That being said, if you make /usr/src, /usr/xenocara, usr/ports owned by
root:wsrc, and chmod g+rwx all the directories, a regular user in that
group seems to be able to do everything but install.

With the caveat that if root has built previously in the same tree, you
might have to clean up some stuff by hand. For example, I can build a
kernel as a regular user, but I had to have root clear out the compile
dir made by config, as this was last invoked by root.

--
John D. Verne
<j...@clevermonkey.org>