# whoami
root
# su foo
passwd: login/uid mismatch, username argument required.
# su udippel
$ whoami
udippel
$ exit
# whoami
root
# su bar
passwd: login/uid mismatch, username argument required.
# su ba
su: unknown login ba

I came in to root through 'udippel' (su); and I am sure it worked a
few hours ago. What am I missing now ? Or is this a bug ?

I have logged out completely and logged back, same behaviour.

According to the man-pages, we expect something else:
"If su is
executed by root, no password is requested and a shell with the appropri-
ate user ID is executed; no additional Kerberos tickets are obtained."

Any hint ? (Google knows about the message only twice)

Uwe