On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 08:42:14PM +0200, Gregor Best wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 05:52:12PM +0100, Kaashif Hymabaccus wrote:
> > [...]
> > I know this isn't a problem with my hardware (a ThinkPad T61) being
> > slow,
> > [...]
>
> Definitely, my R61 starts a Python HTTP server almost instantly.
>
> > Seeing as the problem
> > is worst with programs that access the network, maybe the problem has
> > something to do with that?
> > [...]
>
> Could be a problem with name resolution. Do you have an entry for your
> hostname in /etc/hosts? How quick is name resolution in general, i.e.
> via something like
>
>       host localhost
>       host `hostname -s`
>       host openbsd.org
>
> --
>       Gregor Best

Localhost was taking a very, very long time (almost exactly the 10
minutes the web server was taking to start) to resolve for some reason,
so I changed the nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf and everything seems to
work fine.

I even upgraded to -current to see if it'd fix the problem!

I feel silly now, the problem was so obvious. Thanks.