On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 11:44:32PM -0500, Jason Dixon wrote:
> I recently purchased a pair of Iron Systems A210 servers for a firewall
> installation.  The systems were ordered with no hard drives and ide-to-CF
> adapters onboard.
> They are running 3.8 -release on 512MB compact flash (SanDisk SDCFB-512).
> I'm seeing the following error in the same place on both systems at boot:
>
> wd0(pciide0:0:0): timeout
>         type: ata
>         c_bcount: 512
>         c_skip: 0
> pciide0:0:0: bus-master DMA error: missing interrupt, status=0x21
> wd0c: device timeout reading fsbn 0 (wd0 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0), retrying
> wd0(pciide0:0:0): timeout
>         type: ata
>         c_bcount: 512
>         c_skip: 0
> pciide0:0:0: bus-master DMA error: missing interrupt, status=0x21
> wd0: transfer error, downgrading to PIO mode 4
> wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4
> wd0c: device timeout reading fsbn 0 (wd0 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0), retrying
> wd0: soft error (corrected)
>
> Everything then continues as usual, although I'm also not doing any
> intentional writes to disk.  Anyone have any idea what might be causing this
> and if it's safe to
> ignore (yeah, right).

Have you tried to disable (Ultra)DMA with config(8) on the wd device?
The flags you might need are listed in wd(4).

I needed that for an old box where OpenBSD tried to "talk" with the IDE
Controller in UltraDMA2 mode and then downgraded it until it was PIO4.
That process took a lot of time, but did nothing bad to my data. As far
as I understand it, this is not an error, just a bit annoying if boot
time matters.

Tobias