--- Sebastian Rother <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I scrited with pdksh all the time lon for now.
> Now I'm interested into learning another
> Scripting-Language.
>
> I can't decide between Perl and Python.
> Perl has a lot modules but it's GPLed.
> Python on the other hand is under a BSD-compatible
> License and has less
> modules.
>
> I would like to know some "facts" why Perl is in the
> base system on a
> BSD even Python is a BSD-licensed alternativ. Does
> it have some
> advantages I don#t know?
>
> I read a lot papers about both languages. Also
> CS-related Papers but I
> can't decide.
>
> I would be happy if some developers would tell me
> why they prefere Perl.
> Even if the answer would be: It's more common or: It
> existed at first.
>
> Kind regards,
> Sebastan

My recommendation is to stop reading the CS-related
papers and start poking around with the code.  There
are tonnes of tutorials for both languages that will
help you in this endeavour.

You're also going to have to think about what you are
going to use it for.  A language is something of a
tool.  You _can_ get the job done with pretty much any
language, but some are better than others for certain
jobs.  ie parallel. You wouldn't want to dig a
foundation of a house with a screw driver.  So, Perl,
Python or neither might be the one for you.

But, keeping it restricted to Python/Perl.  There is
also the esthetic quality of the language.  I find
Python *far* more pretty than Perl.  I also find
Python *far* easier to code and read than Perl.
Though I'm certian someone, somewhere will disagree.

I'm also not certain as to why the license of the
language interpreter is coming into play.  The code
you write is yours, and Perl's or Python's license is
rather moot.  That is unless you plan to embed the
interpreter.

IMO, the more languages you know (and I mean actually
know, not just familiar with), the better programmer
you are, the better you can get the job done.  You
really should be learning both.  Just start with the
one that'll be more useful to you right now.

What is it that you wanted to accomplish?

best regards,
Reid Nichol

"We're in a giant car heading into a brick wall at 100 miles/hr and everybody's
arguing about where they want to sit."
-David Suzuki
Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com