On 2014-06-29, Christian Weisgerber <na...@mips.inka.de> wrote:
> Dewey Hylton:
>
>> > I vaguely remember that at some point there was a change that
>> > requires a new boot(8), otherwise a serial console won't be set
>> > correctly with a new kernel.
>>
>> hmmm ... would this affect both pxe and locally booting bsd.rd?
>
> It affects both pxeboot(8) and boot(8) on disk.
>
>> where is this documented?
>
> I don't think it is explicitly documented anywhere, but this may
> be pertinent:
>
> "Upgrades are only supported from one release to the release immediately
>  following it. Do not skip releases. If you got lucky skipping releases
>  in the past, you may not this time."

I documented this carefully in current.html (after having been bitten
by it on a couple of machines) but unfortunately this didn't make it
through to the release notes.

+<a name="20140214"></a>
+<h3>2014/02/14 - amd64/i386 serial consoles need current bootloader</h3>
+This is a reminder of a change which
+<a href="http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.os.openbsd.cvs/124092";>took place
+earlier</a>: backward compatibility for learning about a serial console device
+from old boot loaders was removed.
+or "BOOT 3.18" (i386).<p>
+The boot loader is updated as part of the normal upgrade procedure
+via the install media, but users who have previously upgraded from
+OpenBSD 5.2 or earlier using the "without install kernel" method on a
+running system may have missed this step.
+If this is the case, you can either do a ramdisk-based update to
+OpenBSD 5.4 first (even if you are already running 5.4), or manually
+use
+<a
href="http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=installboot&manpath=OpenBSD+5%2e4&arch=i386";>installboot(8)</a>
+<!-- XXX do not update 5.4 link above to 5.5, this needs to show the old
+installboot syntax which has now changed -->
+to update to boot blocks from OpenBSD 5.3 or 5.4, before attempting to
+boot a 5.5 kernel or installer.