On 07/17/14 15:20, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
Stan Gammons [s_gamm...@charter.net] wrote:
I know it's ancient and minimal hardware, but I've been tinkering with
OpenBSD 5.5 on a Nokia IP260 with an 8GB compact flash.  The OS was
installed on the compact flash using a card reader on a Dell laptop.  The OS
boots and networking works as long as I specify the MAC using lladdr in
hostname.xxx and use duids. If you don't use duids the partitions will not
mount when the compact flash is moved from the laptop to the IP260.  But I
see some errors on an 8GB compact flash that I didn't see with a 1GB compact
flash.  Could it be the 8GB compact flash is more than what the IP260
supported? Here's the dmesg
If the 1GB flash didn't have ultra-DMA support, that would explain why
you only see this error on the 8GB flash. Smells like the IP260 doesn't connect
the ultra-DMA wires back to the intel IDE chip, so only PIO mode or mwDMA will
work.

Yes, that's the problem.  Disabling DMA with ukc solves the problem.

I've since loaded OpenBSD 5.5 on a 16GB compact flash and it works too. A 32GB compact flash might even work. I don't have one to see though.

Thanks to Jonathan Gray for the link to the write up on the CF socket.

Stan