On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 04:04:32AM -0400, Todd Zimmermann wrote:
> Have name resolution failure after an upgrade ( rebooting into the the
> new system) on my crusty i386 server. A # kill -9 'unbound pid' plus
> starting unbound from rc.d after and everything is fine. Might have
> been going on for awhile, but usually it works itself out.

Trying to look into this i installed an i386 system from a freshly
downloaded snapshot bsd.rd and the only thing i did on the resulting
machine was add unbound_flags="-c /var/unbound/etc/unbound.conf" to
rc.conf.local and reboot the machine.

This seems to work just fine for me:

==========
# dig @127.0.0.1 www.openbsd.org

; <<>> DiG 9.4.2-P2 <<>> @127.0.0.1 www.openbsd.org
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 7, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.openbsd.org.               IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.openbsd.org.        86400   IN      A       129.128.5.194

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
openbsd.org.            86400   IN      NS      ns1.telstra.net.
openbsd.org.            86400   IN      NS      a.ns.bsws.de.
openbsd.org.            86400   IN      NS      ns2.superblock.net.
openbsd.org.            86400   IN      NS      c.ns.bsws.de.
openbsd.org.            86400   IN      NS      ns1.superblock.net.
openbsd.org.            86400   IN      NS      ns.sigmasoft.com.
openbsd.org.            86400   IN      NS      zeus.theos.com.

;; Query time: 684 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Sat Jul 26 12:47:26 2014
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 222

Is it possible you could share some more information like the output of
dig(1), any changes made to the unbound configuration etc?

I guess recording what unbound is doing during a bad lookup with
ktrace(1) and sharing the resulting log could be helpful as well if
there is nothing interesting in the system logs.

Regards,
Patrik Lundin