The AR9271 is a single-chip USB 2.0 802.11n solution.  It operates in
 the 2GHz spectrum and supports a single stream (1T1R).

When adding the option wpa wpaprotos wpa2 to hostname.athn0; ifconfig
shows chan 2 and the connection fails with just some layer 2 traffic.

/sbin/ifconfig chan 1 after seems to fix it

Just thought I would report my findings.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)