> Some progresses: I sorted out the things, reistalling from scratch all
> the packages in cups and hplip ports (with your patch, of course) and
> now I'm able to install the printer from the CUPS web interface and
> print too (I verified with the test page and some PDF documents).

Cool, that's good.

> I really don't understand what was going wrong yesterday, 'cause I
> repeated the same steps; the only thing that I can confirm is that your
> patch is working and it is needed.

It's been committed since :-)

> So far, so good.
>
> But there is still something weird... When I try to open hp-systray, I
> receive the following message:
>
> warning: No hp: or hpfax: devices found in any installed CUPS queue. Exiting.

Well the HP tools are very very Linux centric; so I am not surprised that there
are still dragons in there.
Is your printer 'connection' setup as:
hp:/usb/... ?

> which is of course a non-sense, given that the printer is installed in
> CUPS and the queue is correctly responding.
>
> If I try to install the printer with hp-setup, the situation is even
> more obscure; after having found the device, I obtain:
>
> Searching... (bus=usb, search=(None), desc=0)
> warning: /usr/local/share/hplip/plugin.spec file doesn't exists.
> error: No PPD found for model deskjet_f4200 using old algorithm.
> error: No appropriate print PPD file found for model deskjet_f4200_series
>
> Do you have any idea? How could I proceed in debugging?

Oh that. Well that would require some patching I guess. As mentioned, the HP
tools make a lot of assumptions which aren't true on OpenBSD :/
I've never spent too much time trying to fix hp-setup because it tends to break
at each update in a different way -- but if that's something users really want,
I could have a look when I have time.

--
Antoine