2014/08/17 20:50 "Norman Gray" <nor...@astro.gla.ac.uk>:

> [...]
>
> Well yes, but those are problems with Adobe's dreadful reader,
> not with the (standardised) format itself.

Unfortunately, the format itself breeds holes.

Being a fan of postfix languages, it's been a bit of a bitter pill for me,
but I've done some of the math. The problem is not just the implentation.

Still, the larger problems are that Adobe has a near monopoly in this
segment and is not willing to slow down to let natural competition help
clean things up, and is not willing to slow down to clean things up
themselves. Very irresponsible, just like the other big companies.

But they own the format, and 3rd party cleanroom implementations still have
to follow their lead in today's monopoly-supporting IP regime.

> [...]

It's not that your efforts are unappreciated, but you should recognize that
the path you are tracing is not new. Nor should you necessarily be too
discouraged. Just recognize that there is a lot more work to be done, if
the project is going to take this on. The technical part is the easy part,
and I think that you do realize that what you accomplished isn't really
even 5/18ths of the technical part of the job.

(I speak as a lurker who has seen something like this before.)

Also,  if you are considering donating the necessary work yourself, you
might want to talk with Michael Lucas. I think he might be able to help you
avoid some of the dead-end paths in the solution tree.

Joel Rees

Computer memory is just fancy paper,
CPUs just fancy pens.
All is a stream of text