Hi,

Dave Anderson wrote:
Yup, time for a new disk.  I'm off to do some research on who makes the
most reliable ones these days.  [Suggestions from anyone knowledgable
are welcome.]
the companies merge and merge :) For a magnetic disc, there's Hitachi global storage and Toshiba left for example. Western digital too, I used to love it, but I had two external drives (which are essentially laptop drives and carried around like laptops) which suffered sector damage after just 2-3 years. I might just be unlucky, but now I am on my second Toshiba external drive. The power consumption of WD was very good (start off a standard USB port without any additional power or over-driving the port, which certain older ports do not allow and require external power like 99% of the disks I tested)

Riccardo