On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Federico Giannici wrote:

> Since I upgraded an OpenBSD/amd64 3.7 to 3.8 (following instructions in the
> "Upgrade Guide") sometimes gethostbyname() returns NULL with h_errno equal to
> -1 ("Resolver internal error").

What is the value of errno?

> The program (OpenSER 1.0.0) had no problems under 3.7.
> The domain string is correct.
>
> The error seems to appear the SECOND time the gethostbyname() function is
> called by the same process.
>
> What could be the problem?

Check the usual suspect: /etc/resolv.conf

If that does not help: there have been changes to the resolver code
between 3.7 and 3.8 as well. One thing is does is checking if
/etc/resolv.conf has been changed and then reload things.  We need
more info to see what is going on. OB

Compiling the resolver code with -DDEBUG and enabling debug by
including options debug in resolv.conf can give a clue.

Or ktrace the process.

        -Otto