On 09/04/14 20:58, Nick Holland wrote:
Take a look in the system BIOS, there may be some knobs to twist for the on-board SATA interface. IF it is there, the one I might try would be switching the interface from IDE to AHCI mode -- I've seen some machines with AHCI support that have pathetic IDE operation. You may also wish to upgrade the BIOS. Why not, that's what Dell would tell you to do. :) Wouldn't hurt trying -current on it, either.

If I remember right, enable and disable are the only options for the integrated peripherals. 1.2.0 is the latest BIOS according to the Dell website.

I have the 08-29-14 snapshot. I'll see what it does. Using the 2900 may be the better option.

I was trying rebuilt the kernel and binaries in hopes of making a
patched version of 5.5 stable to load on an APU.1C  A process that
doesn't take too long to do on an R900.
probably takes longer to boot the machine than to build a kernel. :-/

It does take a while to test 128GB of memory. Unlike some machines, you can hit the space bar and terminate the memory test. The machines that you can't terminate the memory test on take a while to boot especially when they have 512GB or more memory. :)

Stan