On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 10:18:31PM +1000, Brett Mahar wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 21:15:59 -0400
> Steve Litt <sl...@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>
> | Hi all,
> |
> | Has anyone gotten qemu to install a Linux vm on OpenBSD5.5, 64bit?
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> There's a readme that is installed when you install the qemu package, you
> should check that out. I had opensuse running a while ago (lots of the other
> linux distributions would not work). What I did was:
>
> After creating .img file:
>
> $ ulimit -d 2000000
>
> $ qemu -m 1300 -no-acpi -monitor stdio -no-fd-bootchk -hda virtual.img -cdrom
> openSUSE-11.4-GNOME-LiveCD-i686.iso -boot d
>
> Then when you get to the installer screen, select f4[kernel version]>safe
> mode; F3[graphics]>vesa
>
> Once installed and virtual disk compressed, normal booting works with:
>
> $ qemu -m 1300 -no-acpi -no-fd-bootchk -hda virtual.img
>
> then selecting failsafe mode to boot into a console (no x11) desktop. If you
> want a graphical desktop
> environment, choose failsafe mode and then delete "nomodeset x11 failsafe"
> from the boot arguments.
>
> This would need to be adjusted for newer qemu, command line options I used
> recently with pcbsd were:
>
> $ qemu-system-x86_64 -m 256 -cdrom
> PCBSD10.0.2-RELEASE-06-20-2014-x64-DVD-USB.iso pcbsd-qemu.img
>
> launch:
> $ qemu-system-x86_64 -m 1200 -display gtk -vga std -sdl -hda pcbsd-qemu.img
>
> Brett.

Thanks a lot.  I will try that too because I had problems with
Linux distributions too.  Maybe, this 'Damn Small Linux' thing might be
usable... .  Gentoo booted, too (the install iso), but I don't want to
waste my entire life compiling linux stuff inside qemu.

However, I got MINIX up and running within qemu (the system compiles
inside the qemu box without any problems) and of course, OpenBSD runs
inside qemu, too.