Well, I accidentally disklabeled it. I was playing with ccd recently
and stupidly began ccd type recovery on a dump copy hard drive by
entering disklabel and changing the unused wd2a partition into a
4.2BSD partition, offset of course by 63, writing to the disklabel and
returning to the command prompt. I tried to set things right (by
resetting the things back to the way it was). Anywho, is there any
chance of recovering what is on this hard drive?

right now I see

# disklabel -E wd2
.. blah blah blah ...
16 partitions:
#             size        offset  fstype [fsize bsize  cpg]
  a:      39102147             0  unused      0     0      # Cyl     0 - 38791*
  c:      39102336             0  unused      0     0      # Cyl     0 - 38791

# restore -rvs 1 -f /dev/rwd2a
Verify tape and initialize maps
restore: /dev/rwd2a: Device not configured
# restore -rvs 1 -f /dev/rwd2c
Verify tape and initialize maps
Tape block size is 32
restore: Tape is not a dump tape

It is, quite possible that it didn't work properly to begin with, as I
did never check (my very bad).

I was wondering if there was any way to recover what is on that drive,
say with dd or something, or a way to rebuild the dump. To be
complete, since I've already poured gasoline over myself and lit the
BBQ-lighter and gave it a big hug, I suspect the answer is no (in
which case to be burned to a crisp) or there is something else left to
try.

Thanks for the Info! Either way I still feel like I'm hosed.

--
I know too much and yet do not practise what I know.