Hi all

I have 5.5 i386 running under kvm-qemu, using ntpd to sync time.

But the system keeps constantly loosing time, at a rate of about two
seconds per minute (which of course makes it unusable).

When starting ntpd with the "-s" flag, it successfully sets the system
time and initializes /var/db/ntp.drift. But after that it does no longer
set the system time, even if it says so in syslog:

Sep 21 13:12:37 secure ntpd[26259]: adjusting local clock by 53.514878s
Sep 21 13:14:47 secure ntpd[26259]: adjusting local clock by 52.869489s
Sep 21 13:16:27 secure ntpd[26259]: adjusting local clock by  54.363131s

The offest is correct, by the time it writes that message, the system
clock is really that much off the real ntp time. Only that the local
clock never does get adjusted. The clock frequency is also never
adjusted, and ntp.drift remains untouched.

In order to run the system at all under qemu I had to disable mpbios in
the kernel. Could this have caused that effect?

Or is anyone aware of this being a problem under kvm-qemu and i386 (no
such problems with 5.5 or -current amd64)?

Thanks /markus