I've built both /usr/src and /usr/xenocara after updating to -stable,
and I've updated /usr/ports to -stable, but there are no instructions
to do a build at the top of /usr/ports. Can I assume that would be
because you generally don't want to build the whole ports tree?

I'm reading the faq, and looks like pkg_add doesn't have any option to
tell it whether to add from -stable or -current or -release . There
are warnings not to mix packages from -stable and -current , and I
think it at indicates not to mix -stable and -release . But I don't
see any way to tell pkg_add which.

It looks like pkg_add references and uses the ports directory, in
which case it should "know" to get the -stable packages.

Am I understanding things correctly?

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart,
and ask yourself if you are not your own worst enemy.