Quoting Alexander Hall <alexan...@beard.se>:

On October 30, 2014 1:26:25 PM CET, Vijay Sankar <vsan...@foretell.ca> wrote:
I have been using a simple script

# mypasswd.sh
/usr/bin/passwd -l
if [[ $? != 0 ]]; then
        /usr/bin/logger "Unsuccessful attempt to change password"
else
        /usr/bin/logger "Changed login password"
fi

to get syslog entries whenever I change my password. I looked for a
better way but could not find any solutions for this in the archives.

Is there a better way to do this? Please let me know if possible.

Unless there is any functionality you're missing, and scripting nits aside, this seems fine.

Please elaborate on why you think it shouldn't be.

/Alexander

Thanks very much,

Vijay

Thank you very much. The main thing I am not sure of is whether this is the right way to do this or if I am missing something obvious. The second problem I have is that when I change password, out of habit, I do a passwd instead of mypasswd. So I am using an alias in .profile and I am thinking that this is probably not good.

I initially thought that auth.* in syslog.conf would log password change successes or failures but that did not work. So ended up with this script.

Any scripting nits you have also will be very helpful!

Vijay

Vijay Sankar, M.Eng., P.Eng.
ForeTell Technologies Limited
vsan...@foretell.ca

This message was sent using ForeTell-POST 4.9