Hi,

On 11/1/14, ropers <rop...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>     o New uscom(4) driver for simple USB serial adapters.
>
> This reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask for some time:
>
> * Has anyone here used a USB-only laptop with a USB-to-serial adapter
> as a serial console? (You know, instead of hardware that has a native
> RS-232 port?

Yes. I use such a setup on one "server". You need to add the
appropriate /dev/ttyUx in your /etc/ttys and ensure ttyflags(8)
runs after the device attaches. I haven't automated this on
the one box; hotplugd(8) may be the tool for this task.

> * Does uscom(4) make this any easier/is it more compatible than ucom(4)?
> * If I buy a random USB-to-serial dongle, is it likely that it'll work
> with either uscom(4) or ucom(4)? If not, does anyone have any hardware
> recommendations, i.e. what do you use?

I have about four such usb/serial devices. I purchased all
of them blindly, at different times, and all of them happen
to "just work".

One I have handy right now shows up as:
uplcom0 at uhub0 port 1 "Prolific Technology Inc. USB-Serial
Controller D" rev 1.10/4.00 addr 3
ucom0 at uplcom0

Another as:
uftdi0 at uhub1 port 5 "FTDI usb serial controler" rev 1.10/4.00 addr 2
ucom0 at uftdi0 portno 1.

I don't think I paid anything more than $12USD for each.

--patrick