On Fri, Nov 07, 2014 at 09:14:05PM -0500, System Administrator wrote:
> In OpenBSD 5.6, the prototype and man-page for hosts.equiv(5) have
> disappeared. However, this file is still referenced in sshd_config(5)
> and (if I'm searching the sources correctly) in /usr/src/usr.bin/ssh
> auth-rhosts.c which is included in the sshd/Makefile.
>
> Is the removal accidental or an indication that its use is deprecated?
> If the latter, what is the [new] recommended "best practices" for
> HostBasedAuthentication within a cluster of trusted servers?
>
> Thanks in advance.

hi! back in april i asked about the refs to this file in the ssh docs.
damien miller told me hosts.equiv is still relevant to "host-based
logins using key authentication", and that the reference should
definitely stay.

and the removal of hosts.equiv(5) was not accidental.

i couldn;t comment on "best practices", but i believe the docs are
correct. it could be that ssh(1) etc. need to explain a bit more about
how hosts.equiv work, but i'm not sure.

jmc