On Sat, 08 Nov 2014 22:57:41 +0200 Atanas Vladimirov <vl...@bsdbg.net> wrote:
> On 24.10.2014 00:33, Robert Peichaer wrote:
> > CVSROOT:    /cvs
> > Module name:        src
> > Changes by: r...@cvs.openbsd.org    2014/10/23 15:33:21
> >
> > Modified files:
> >     distrib/miniroot: dot.profile install.sub
> >     distrib/notes  : m4.common
> >     share/man/man8 : autoinstall.8
> >
> > Log message:
> > Extend autoinstall(8) feature:
> >
> > - Ask for responsefile location (url or local path) if dhcp discovery
> > fails for location or mode.  If 'next-server' is found in dhcp lease
> > file, provide a default url http://next-server/install.conf.
> >
> > - Ask for installer mode if the specified response file name does not
> > match *install.conf or *upgrade.conf.
> >
> > - If present, use /auto_install.conf or /auto_upgrade.conf as response
> > file for unattended installation or upgrade.
> >
> > - Automatically start installer in unattended mode if either one of
> > these files is present when the system boots.
> >
> > - Document changes in manpage and installation notes.
> >
> > OK krw@ deraadt@
>
> I'm following -current and decided to try autoinstall(8) from
> /auto_upgrade.conf when I moved to newer snapshot.
> I made a custom auto_upgrade.conf on my root [sd2a] partition but when I
> boot a newer bsd.rd,
> auto_upgrade.conf is not on the miniroot. I escaped to shell, mounted
> sd2a on /mnt and copied auto_upgrade.conf to miniroot.
> Then Autoupgrade completed as it should.
> The question is whether there are any easier steps to make auto_upgrade
> from local file, not by using dhcp/tftp/http?
> Thanks,
> Atanas

you can make your own bsd.rd. this is a method i have used for custom
auto-installs for years (among other uses).

make sure to get the src{,sys}.tar.gz files for whatever snapshot you are
using.

# cp auto_upgrade.conf /usr/src/distrib/miniroot/

to '/usr/src/distrib/miniroot/list', add the line:

  COPY    ${CURDIR}/auto_upgrade.conf          auto_upgrade.conf

# cd /usr/src && make obj
# cd /usr/src/distrib/special/libstubs && make
# cd /usr/src/distrib/`arch -s`/ramdisk_cd && make

this should leave you with with a bsd.rd in obj/, just drop it in as a
replacement for the install one.