On 11/09/14 19:09, Theodore Wynnychenko wrote:
Hello

I am thinking of taking the plunge and following current.
It all seems straightforward.
I have looked at the FAQ's and other sources.
I understand that it goes like this (simplistically):

        Get a new snapshot from mirror
        Sysmerge etc/xetc
This first sysmerge is not necessary.
        Cp bsd.rd to /
        Boot into bsd.rd
        Follow upgrade
        Reboot
        Sysmerge again to be sure
        Update packages (pkg_add -ui)

So far, got it.
But, I am confused about ports.
If I have something build from ports, I would want to update that as well,
right?

I see that there is a "ports.tar.gz" in the snapshot directory.  But, in the
FAQ it says: "You must make sure your kernel, 'userland' (the supporting
utilities and files) and ports tree are all in sync."

cvs up -Pd in your /usr/ports directory should bring your ports up to current.

There is no src, sys, or xenocara in the snapshot directory (I saw the
explanation in the FAQ or somewhere, and it makes total sense).

Therefore, my question is: if I am trying to update a port (using "make
update" from a local ports tree), should I use the "ports.tar.gz" that is in
the snapshot directory by uncompressing it over the top of the ports tree I
already have?  Or, should I download the current source and ports trees
using anoncvs, and do the "make update" from the most current ports tree in
anoncvs?  Or, is either choice ok?

You can you the ports.tar.gz as the starting point.

I guess this comes down to a fundamental not understanding of exactly
whether or not the local ports tree needs access to the current source tree
or not, when trying to build or update a port.

If you are using current then you need the latest ports tree - cvs up should do the trick.

hth

Fred