On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 11:45:26AM -0500, trondd wrote:
> I had noticed the same thing.  The src tarball on the CD is different from
> the tarball on the mirrors.  I had taken a quick look and it was just
> whitespace differences that I saw.
>
> Tim.

I have investigated more now, and it sure seems as the 5.6 CD src.tar.gz
does not have the same content as the download site's 5.6 src.tar.gz
(besides sys.tar.gz, of course).  Some parts of patch 009 (on httpd)
were already present in my source tree which is the CD src.tar.gz.

But on the downloadable 5.6 src.tar.gz patch 009 did apply cleanly.

That suggests that the CD src.tar.gz is a slightly later src tree then the
downloadable src.tar.gz.  I have not compared both trees in full,
only ./usr.sbin/httpd.

And yes, I have checked the signatures and SHA sums for both tarballs
against the pub key installed by the 5.6 CD set.

I have also learned to use the -C flag to patch...