Hi Tobias,

what you write is frightening :)

Tobias Ulmer wrote:
On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 01:18:18AM +0100, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
Tobias Ulmer wrote:
full dmesg please
Here it is:
OpenBSD 5.6 (GENERIC) #94: Wed Aug 13 13:54:32 GMT 2014
m...@credogne.gentiane.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/compile/GENERIC
real mem = 166998016 (159MB)
avail mem = 159440896 (152MB)
mainbus0 at root: SUNW,SPARCstation-20
cpu0 at mainbus0: TMS390Z50 v0 or TMS390Z55 @ 50 MHz, on-chip FPU
cpu0: physical 20K instruction (64 b/l), 16K data (32 b/l) cache enabled
This CPU module (Voyager iirc) has issues. It's stable most of the time,
but small programs (like chmod, cat, touch, ...) crash in random places.
Voyager? I don't know, checking:
http://mbus.sunhelp.org/modules/index.htm

I would identify it as SM50, the latter revision, with the large heatsink, not the round one. I suppose you mean by unstable under OpenBSD? It was very stable under solaris 2.5.
Would it crash the program always in the same place?

It is the first time I run OpenBSD on this machine, converting it from Solaris. It have a dual-HyperSparc module from Ross, but during OpenBSD install it apparently failed, becoming unreliable. I hope it is just a coincidence of the age and that OpenBSD doesn't "fry" modules :) After a while it is up I get back into OBP and at reboot I get a memory failure. I suppose the cache controller or the cache went bad.

I still have a SM40 I think, for emergency. I will try that and see, after being certain that I can reproduce these error from reboot to reboot. Once I get the crash I can type "make install" and reproduce it in the same place, but a make clean will have it work and have crash ln in another package.

Riccardo