Stupid question but... why not catch the 4xx error and reestablish a new
connection ?

The limits are here for a purpose and bumping them to work-around a lack
of check in some PHP code doesn't strike me as a good idea.

No matter the value you set, value + 1 will still hit the check, while a
very large value will open your servers to some attacks.