Ingo Schwarze, 24 Dec 2014 11:34:
> > now that there is a dedicated place for examples,
>
> You misunderstand.  The point of creating /etc/examples was not
> to create a new place for documentation.  The point was to be
> able to delete lots of junk from /etc/ without being held back
> by the substantial work of properly integrating the information
> into manual pages.

i understand but disagree.

for me /etc/examples is the same concept as /usr/local/share/examples

the latter is a great way to not clutter up /etc/ at package
install time, but at the same time it does not throw out the
baby with the bathwater, and it gives me a file i can quickly
start working on (together with the man page) instead of
copy-pasting everything ab ovo from documentation, especially
when many config files need minimal changes for common operation.

example config files can be quite helpful and can save
a lot of headache, googling and questions to mailing
lists.

i think hotplugd is special case, because without at
least a skeleton attach script it is utterly useless,
and i think there should have been a commented out
script file from the beginning under /etc/hotplugd
(and not /etc/hotplug).

the patch i sent is just an idea, i was fairly sure
it would never get it in its current form, but i wanted
to start a discussion about it. copying the whole
/etc/ structure inside /etc/examples seemed excessive
for this, after all they are just examples.

last but not least, a whole shell script inside
a man page seems totally out of place for me,
excessive or not.

-f
--
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do!