From: andrew fabbro
Sent: Friday, December 26, 2014 1:25 AM
To: misc@openbsd.org
Subject: Adding encryption support to vi(1)

vim (in ports) offers an encryption option (
http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/editing.html#encryption)

Invoking vim with -x prompts for a key and then encrypts the file on save.
It appears to do the right thing as far as encrypting the .swp (temporary
recovery) file as well. If you later edit the file (without the -x option)
it will detect the file is encrypted based on a magic it prepends and
prompt for a key.

Unfortunately, by default vim uses the 'zip' algorithm which is quite
insecure, though you can optionally specify blowfish as your preferred
algorithm.

The nice thing about this versus a gpg decrypt/edit/re-encrypt cycle is
that you don't have an unencrypted file temporarily lying around (or an
unencrypted vi-recover file for that matter).

I'm wondering if there is any interest in adding this feature to vi(1)
given OpenBSD's interest in integrated crypto?

Unfortunately, as a US citizen/resident, it's not clear to me that I would
be able to contribute code (beyond an implementation that uses the zip
algorithm) so it is probably a moot point unless one of the devs is
interested but...I figured there was no harm in mentioning it.

--
andrew fabbro
and...@fabbro.org