emga...@gmx.net (T. Ribbrock), 2015.12.29 (Mon) 14:30 (CET):
> Hi all,
>
> I'm finally getting round to updating my home server (gets a fresh 5.6
> install).
>
> Of course, there were a lot of changes over the past versions, one of
> them being the whole apache -> nginx -> httpd migration. My webserver
> has a CMS running which requires PHP and MySQL, plus a few more
> PHP-applications. Also, I have two or three virtual sites running and
> I'm currently considering having a look at something like Owncloud
> and/or Citadel.
>
> Given the current state of development in OpenBSD, I'm now wondering
> what the best way forward is for me:
>
> a) Install apache-httpd-openbsd from ports and keep my configuration
>    basically as is
>    Advantage: Less work to get everything running - I've done OpenBSD
>    re-installs like that several times over the past years
>    Disadvantage: I guess that the new httpd will get a lot more
>    developer attention, so this does not seem the ideal option longterm,
>    but I could always migrate to httpd later, e.g. when upgrading to 5.7
>    or (more likely) 5.8
>
> b) Migrate to nginx
>    This seems to be the least interesting option - not only do I have to
>    migrate now, but once more in the future, as nginx is also on the way
>    out (so, the same "developer attention" caveat applies as with
>    apache)
>
> c) Migrate to httpd
>    From what I've gathered so far from this list, this would basically
>    require me to switch to -current, as the 5.6 version is too fresh and
>    too many changes have happened since - or am I being pessimistic
>    here? I've never run -current before, hence, I'm a bit hesitant...

As I've understood it, there's no need to run -current to get a
(fairly?) recent httpd(8):

http://www.openbsd.org/errata56.html
009: RELIABILITY FIX: November 18, 2014   All architectures
httpd was developed very rapidly in the weeks before 5.6 release, and
it has a few flaws. It would be nice to get these flaws fully
remediated before the next release, and that requires the community to
want to use it. Therefore here is a "jumbo" patch that brings in the
most important fixes.
A source code patch exists which remedies this problem.
http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/patches/5.6/common/009_httpd.patch.sig

Do you know of http://stable.mtier.org/ , especially "openup":
http://www.mtier.org/index.php/solutions/apps/openup/ ?

> I tend to go for a) because I do not want to migrate twice - but maybe
> somebody else has some interesting points that I have not considered
> yet? I'd appreciate the input!

For just your own business, I'd do a) and deal with httpd(8) later. For
our all benefit, please run httpd(8) now, reyk@ will love your reports
and you'd raise our chances for httpd(8) in 5.7.

Bye, Marcus