http://www.linbsd.org/ethereal_on_openbsd38.html
I made a couple of changes from the old one.
Removed the need for the patch and updated variable information.
Essentially the process is easier than it was before as no patch is needed. There are also the proper versions of automake/conf in ports now.

It took nothing new to compile this fine on -current.
In fact with the new ports and using the auto vars it is pretty painless.

Joachim thanks for the update.
Hopefully this process works for you.

thanks!

-Ober