I tested OpenBSD 5.6 in VirtualBox on a RHEL 6.5 Workstation, T410:

A few installs, with full disc encryption, only the rounds differ
the guests had: 2 GB RAM, fixed 10 GB HDD, same 10 char pwd, i5 CPU M 560:
(I placed dots only for better reading, not in the real command)

        A = bioctl -r 1.000 -c C -l /dev/sd0a softraid0
        B = bioctl -r 100.000 -c C -l /dev/sd0a softraid0
        C = bioctl -r 1.000.000 -c C -l /dev/sd0a softraid0
        D = bioctl -r 10.000.000 -c C -l /dev/sd0a softraid0
        E = without encryption

I did a:

        dd if=/dev/zero of=test.foo

on them:

        A = ~107 sec
        B = ~105 sec
        C = ~109 sec
        D = ~106 sec
        E = ~110 sec
-> ~22 MB/s

>From the man pages:

-r rounds
        When creating an encrypted volume, specifies the number of iterations of
        the PBKDF2 algorithm used to convert a passphrase into a key. Higher
iteration
        counts take more time, but offer more resistance to key guessing
attacks. The
        minimum is 1000 rounds and the default is 8192.

---------------------------
Questions for the community/devs:

- Are there any statistics for comparing the rounds vs. the time for one
password to "crack"? What is the best* round number?

*- Does the rounds affect the disk performance, ex.: 1000 vs. 10 000 000**? OR
it just ONLY affects the time until the password unlocks the CRYPT device?

**When I used 10 000 000 rounds, after giving the pwd at boot, it took ~30
seconds to start the real boot

It looks like using dd didn't do any difference between encrypted vs.
not-encrypted disks.. so was my tests bad?

Thank you,