Libertas <liber...@mykolab.com> wrote:

> I'm relatively new to OpenBSD, so please correct any mistakes below.
>
> As you may know, resolv.conf.tail is appended to resolv.conf. This is
> convenient because the last 'search' and 'domain' keywords listed are used.
>
> However, nameservers are queried in the order they are listed. This
> means (if I understand correctly) that if DHCP adds a nameserver to your
> resolv.conf, it will supersede anything you include in resolv.conf.tail.
> Wanting to specify the nameserver is common, because many of us are
> otherwise sending all of our DNS queries to lovely companies like
> Comcast and Verizon.
>
> Nameserver overrides be done with dhclient.conf, but it seems more clear
> and Unixy to just have a resolv.conf.head counterpart to
> resolv.conf.tail. It already exists in a certain other Unix-like
> operating system of great popularity.
>
> Is this a good idea? If so, I can try writing a patch.

The things you want to go at the top can go in dhclient.conf as prepend or
supersede options. Other settings like family in resolv.conf can go at the
bottom just fine.

And you realize that your ISP (like Comcast or Verizon) can see your DNS
queries even if you point them at another nameserver. Granted I've met enough
ISP nameservers which return advertising instead of NXDOMAIN, and that is
annoying.

-- Martin