On 01/21/15 20:31, Predrag Punosevac wrote:
Daniel Ouellet wrote:
there is 23 model that are twin model in 1U:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/1UTwin.cfm

But they share the power supply. May be that's what you didn't like.
On 1/21/15 7:31 AM, Alan McKay wrote:
I know that Supermicro has some interesting side-by-sides starting at
2U, but I'm not aware of anything in 1U.  Basically I'd like to have
my redundant FW pairs take up less rack space.   I guess another
option would be half-width 1U if anything like that exists, and
install a rack shelf.
So when the power supply fails you will have both FW down not just one.
Nice :) Even if the FW were only sharing the same case the idea is dumb
because you will have to take off line good FW to fix the one which
failed.

Now somebody posted the link to pfSense hardware where each individual
FW is removable. That would seems like the solution which fits the bill
perfectly and doesn't suffer the problem I just pointed out. However
catch 22 is that the case has a non-standard width so you will have to
adjust your rack :)

Cheers,
Predrag

While I don't really recommend them, the older Nokia IP260 was a 1U half rack wide appliance. Nokia made a frame that held 2 of them in a 1U standard 19 inch rack space. OpenBSD will run on them, but it requires a little effort to get it to work. Or it did the last time I tried it. My efforts to get OpenBSD to work on them is either in the archives of this list or tech@. The current CheckPoint 2200 series is of similar width and not as deep as the IP260. I don't know if they offer a mounting plate to rack 2 side by side. We either sit them on top of something in the rack or install a shelf in the rack. I've yet to try OpenBSD on one though. If we have a spare 2207 at work, I'll see if OpenBSD will run on it.

Stan