On 01/28/15 17:25, openda...@hushmail.com wrote:
> Most of my daemons don't have any flags ...
Really?  Look closer...

IF the vast majority of daemons didn't have any flags at all, maybe
there'd be some merit to this, but I don't think that's true.

Here's a moderately simple rc.conf.local on one of my machines
    ftpd_flags="-llSA"
    mountd_flags=""
    nfsd_flags="-tun 4"
    ntpd_flags=""
    pkg_scripts=rsyncd
    portmap_flags=""
    rsyncd_flags=""
    slowcgi_flags=
    unbound_flags=""

portmap has one option flag which is not useful in startup scripts.
mountd has two, one of which might be useable in startup scripts, though
admittedly really making things unusual.  The rest all have important
and often useful flags.  YOU may not use them often, but some people
probably do.

OpenBSD uses a "Sane Default" model, so very often the flags ARE empty,
but a lot (I'd guess "most", based on that model and spot checking of
daemons listed in rc.conf) of the daemons have knobs that some people
need to twist.  You may not, but while we appreciate your support, you
aren't our only user. :)

Nick.