Markus Kolb wrote:
> Am 2015-02-19 10:51, schrieb Peter Hessler:
>

> > :choose the CPU with higher Frequency and less cores or for a CPU with
> > :lower frequency but more cores?
> >
> > Higher frequency.  Period.
> >
> > Right now, network and PF processing is limited to CPU0.  You want that
> > as fast as possible.
> >
> > Additionally, you want as fast memory transfers (from CPU to RAM) as
> > possible.
> >
> > That will give you the most performance.
>
> Is it as simple as "Higher frequency."?
> Shouldn't there be a view on the instruction sets mostly used in network
> traffic handling and cycle usage of these instructions?
> Or is this equivalent at the up-to-date processors?
> If not, it is possible that lower frequency is faster.

Every iX-3xxx is about the same in terms of IPC. Same for iX-4xxx, etc.

But some models do have AES-NI and some don't. This will clearly matter if
you're also doing IPsec or so.

Also, last I checked for desktop chips, i3 was 2 core hyperthreaded
(4 threads) while i5 was quad core not-hyper (still 4 threads). OpenBSD still
isn't really aware of hyperthreaded, so you'll get better, more consistent
performance from the i5. The i7 then goes to four cores, 8 threads, which is
less than ideal for openbsd.

There's also some variation in the availability of various VT extensions.

Last two points probably don't matter much for a pure firewall passing
packets, but the few hundred mhz gained may not be a worthwhile trade for
flexibilty if you ever intend to repurpose the box.