On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 16:29:59 -0600
Adam Thompson <athom...@athompso.net> wrote:

> On 2015-02-20 01:13 PM, Robert wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 10:34:18 -0500
> > Kenneth Gober <kgo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I didn't reply earlier because I thought the Dell XPS 12 wouldn't meet your
> >> requirements, but I have booted OpenBSD 5.4 on it, although I did have to
> >> disable Secure Boot in the BIOS first.  dmesg follows:
> > Looks like nice hardware. But according to dell.com it has two problems:
> > 1) "Starting at 3.35lbs (1.52 kg)"
> > 2) >= 1.000 USD
> >
> > I'm curious if OpenBSD runs on one of the current Atom tablets that weight
> > ~500g and cost 200-300 USD.
> > (= light and cheap, convenient to carry around).
> > E.g., the Dell Venue 8 Pro 3000
> >
> > /Robert
>
> Broadly speaking, no.  They generally have either UEFI without CSM or in
> some cases completely custom boot environments that OpenBSD does not
> support.  The Dell Venue 8 specifically omits the CSM from UEFI.
>
> Increasingly, only servers, corporate desktops, and "enthusiast"
> motherboards (for DIY system builders) are coming with the UEFI CSM
> required to boot OpenBSD.  Otherwise the inclusion of a CSM seems to be
> largely relative to how old the BIOS is, and how "corporate" the product
> is.  Note, also, that just because the mfgr includes the EFI CSM,
> doesn't mean it works correctly :-(. Bug reports that never get
> addressed are common.
>
> The Lenovo Yoga 2 (10") and/or Lenovo ThinkPad 10 might work; there are
> many anecdotal reports of legacy booting on the both not working
> properly *until* the internal disk is correctly formatted with an MBR
> and boot sector... catch-22!
>
> --
> -Adam Thompson
>   athom...@athompso.net

After a quick check on lenovo.com, the Yoga 2 (10) seems to be interesting.
Incl. LTE it's about 350 EUR.
But I can't find any indications on the web that someone installed any
alternative OS on it. I'm also not sure if it matters if you buy the Android or
Windows version - the hardware seems to be the same.

And the Bay Trail graphics are not supported yet:
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=142106787528337

Ok... so let's wait. Maybe there will be some money this year to throw at an
experiment ;)

Btw, I guess that disk issue can be resolved by removing the disk and preparing
it externally?

/Robert