On 2015-03-01, Felipe Scarel <fbsca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now loading the "phishing/domains" URL list, which has about ~63k
> entries. relayd's "parent" process ballons to over 2GB memory usage
> (I'm assuming it's reading the URL lists and building a data structure
> for the relays),

Yes, it's building a red-black tree structure during startup.

> So that's about ~520 MB of memory per relay process, out of 3 total.

This is probably shared (fork does copy-on-write, so forked processes can
just use the original memory unless they make changes to it). Try adjusting
the "prefork" number and check the free memory with top(1) rather than the
per-process memory with ps(1).