On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 08:51:01AM +0000, Bogdan Andu wrote:
> If I install the latest snapshot of 5.7 say April 1st, 2015, I do not think
> it is possible after May 1st, 2015, to follow patch branch, orelse -stable
> 5.7, because?? this snapshot it is more advanced than the one frozen to
> become 5.7 -release unless backports are applied. But even if code is
> backported it is unclear what percent of the code is covered both at kernel
> and userland level.

OK, you've managed to demonstrate why I hate answering that particular
question. Don't try doing this, please just order a stack of CD sets and be
done with it.

In more detail than I should offer, but anyway:

Your timing is way off.

And the chance of finding a snapshot that matches the release *exactly* is
minimal to non-existent to start with.

If you're interested in following OpenBSD development fairly closely, please
fetch and install snapshots,
then either jump from snapshot to snapshot or try building -current from source.

Trying to guess which snapshot equals the release that will only become
available after CD sets have been produced
is a truly counter-productive activity. And unless you're at least willing to
install and run snapshots somewhere
for an extended period of time, you're never going to get anywhere close. If
doing that fairly minimal amount of
work is beyond you or not an option for some reason, please don't try asking
others to point you at the best
moment in the relese cycle. Just wait until CD set preorders open, and hope
yours arrive early.

- Peter

http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/