On 12/16/05, Nick Holland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On i386, that statement is STILL wrong, though you will be digging up
> either some unusual historic hardware or some really unusual devices for
> there to be an issue.  Still, that's just wrong.
>
> On i386, it is NOT "63 sectors", it is "one (logical) track".  On modern
> (>500M) hard disks, one logical track is 63 sectors, but that was not
> always the case, and I don't think it has to be the case now for "small"
> storage devices.

This is true -- I have a 32MB USB key which reports its (fake)
geometry as 'sd2: 31MB, 31 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sec, 64000
sec total'.  Funny thing is, the FAT partition on it still starts at a
63-sector offset.  I suppose I could repartition it to gain an extra
16kB if I really wanted to.  :-)

I was about to enclose dmesg/fdisk/disklabel, but I see you have
already described a similar device (also 32 sec/track) in 14.17.

-Andrew