On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 9:12 PM, Andrew Fresh <and...@afresh1.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 05, 2015 at 10:50:47PM -0300, Henrique Lengler wrote:
>> And it is called in ~.profile with this:
>> . /home/henri/.kshrc
>>
>> The problem is that these definitions work out of X, in the console,
>> logged as the same user (henri) but don't work under X.
>> I open a xterm window and and type clr, I receive:
>> /bin/ksh: clr: not found
>> But out of X it works, can someone help me to make this thing work
>> normally?
>

> What I have done is set "ENV=$HOME/.kshrc" in .profile, then whenever you
> open a new shell, it will use that file as a shell startup file.

That's step one, but whether it's enough depends on how you start X.

If you start X from the command line with 'startx' then yes, using
export ENV=$HOME/.kshrc in your .profile should be enough, because
your X clients will inherit that in the environment from startx.

If you start X with xdm, then you need to either
A) manually set ENV (or source your entire .profile) from your
.xsession that xdm invokes, OR
B) tell xterm to start the shell inside it as a login shell, so that
*that* will read your .profile.  This can be done by either:
   B1) start xterm with the -ls option, or
   B2) set "*loginShell: true" in your X resource database (c.f. xrdb(1))

Philip Guenther