I would love to have the problem of having so many customers, prefixes and
filters that the route server becomes a performance issue. That means the IX
has become successful. I know AMS-IX was one that switched from OpenBGPd.
They've got somewhere between 600 and 800 networks on the IX. Currently, one
building we're in only has 22 networks present. I'm not sure I'll ever hit the
issues AMS-IX had.

I had seen some complaints about OpenBGPd for IX RS usage, but they were all
2009 - 2011 area. I had assumed the most egregious of them had been fixed by
now.

Over time I expect I'll implement increasingly advanced configurations, such as
separate RIBs per peer. At the suggestion of separate instances of OpenBGPd for
v4 and v6, one could very well do a different VM for v4 and v6.

I did know to get a 16 bit ASN. Is the 32 bit communities issue an OpenBGPd
development issue or a lack of standards\precedent issue? Or, well, I guess
something else.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions